Outskirts of Red Sox Nation

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Chicken and Egg

I can't remember the line exactly, and I'm too lazy to google it. There was a scene in the wonderful movie "High Fidelity" when John Cusack wonders whether his life is emotionally messed-up because he listens to pop music or instead if he listens to pop music because his life is emotionally messed-up. It's probably a little bit of both- a nice, self-sustaining feedback loop of misery.

I can identify. I can identify not only with the pop-music element of his question, but also with this Red Sox component. Am I a crazy, obsessed, superstitious data junkie because I love the Red Sox, or do I love the Red Sox because I am a crazy, obsessed, superstitious data junkie? Well, there you go. Chicken and egg.

Yesterday, I was wondering what I could do to help the Sox continue their winning ways through excellent pitching from unexpected places. I, of course, helped create that winning streak through my criticism of the pitchers that would then go on to pitch wonderfully. Last night, Kyle Snyder pitched in an attempt to complete the sweep against the White Sox. The trouble was that I already had criticized him and he already pitched well last week. I didn't know how to keep the superstition going. I'm sorry- I blew that one. And then Snyder blew it, allowing twenty-five runs in an inning and a third (or something like that).

The Red Sox problem may also have something to do with scoring three runs or less in 14 of their last 16 games, but I'd prefer to think that it has more to do with the cosmic forces that I helped throw out of whack yesterday. My only hope at redemption here is to really tear into Kevin Jarvis (who is that again?) or Josh Beckett in advance of their starts against the Royals this weekend. That's worth a try. It shouldn't be that hard for Kevin Jarvis, anyway. The guy's only 0-2 with an ERA over nine. That's one run per inning he pitches. What does that translate to in Royal runs? If he can keep them under five runs in six innings, I think he's doing well. I am not going to hold my breath, however.

Finally, some good wishes and powerful soul force (satyagraha, for all of you Gandhi illiterates) go out to Jon Lester and his family. His press conference and his maturity in facing a very serious situation makes me believe that he'll pull through his fine. I'll be looking forward to him anchoring the back of the rotation in 2007. Get well soon, Jon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home