Outskirts of Red Sox Nation

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is Still Dead

The Yankees just called a press conference to announce that Joe Torre will still be the manager of the Yankees in the 2007 season. Oh. You mean the Joe Torre who was already under contract for the 2007 season? Right. They held a press conference to say that nothing changed. Thanks, guys. Let me guess, Derek Jeter is also going to remain at shortstop for the 2007 season, contrary to reports that he'd instead be playing catcher for the Colorado Rockies.

Actually, they probably did this just it would be clear to the entire media world that I was wrong again. Obviously, Joe Torre wasn't the problem, but that's no reason for me to not predict his imminent demise. I might have to go into George Constanza decision mode and quickly reverse any prediction that I might make. With that in mind, here are my rock-solid predictions for the next round of the MLB playoffs, starting this evening with the Oakland-Detroit series:

-Oakland/Detroit: As impressed as I was with the Detroit pitching against the Yankees and as much momentum as Detroit is carrying with them into Oakland, I think the A's will shut them down. The old expression "momentum carries you as far as your next starting pitcher" is the story here. Barry Zito and the patient bats of the Oakland lineup will set the tone, and the A's will win in 6.

-New York/St.Louis: I think that the Cardinals only looked good in their first series because the Padres were so bad. They had no offense and couldn't respond to the onslaught of Albert Pujols. In a short series, anything can happen. In a longer series, I think that the Cardinals won't have enough finish this one off. Can't this team just go away already? Since it worked so well when I predicted that the mighty offense of the other NY franchise would overcome its questionable pitching, I'll repeat that mistake. The Mets hitters will win the day, and will beat the Cardinals in seven games.

Ladies and gentlemen, place your bets. Just remember to bet against me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home