Outskirts of Red Sox Nation

Friday, September 22, 2006

King David the LII

For a couple short moments last night, the Twins were actually in first place in the AL Central, leading the Tigers (who lost earlier that day to the Orioles) by percentage points. But then Big Papi showed up. And Josh Beckett showed up. And someone secretly replaced all-universe lefty Johan Santana with Folger's Crystals. And now those Twins? They're back in 2nd.

A very very good win last night, 6-0 over Johan and the Twins. Josh Beckett threw eight shutout innings. The Sox not only avoided getting swept for the season by the Twins, but also kept their tiny slim playoff hopes alive. Oh yeah, and Big Papi killed two pitches and now is all alone with the Red Sox single-season record.

Did I ever mention that my dog's registration tag number is #34? And that we call her Big Puppi (she's a St. Bernard) Did I mention that my six-year-old daughter has a pink "Ortiz 34" t-shirt that she wears to bed? Did I mention that I've had a man crush on this fella since I saw him at Spring Training in 2003? Did I mention we're both big Green Bay Packers fans? That both myself and his wife are from Wisconsin? Congratulations, Papi. This could literally have not happened to a better guy.

By the way- 52 converted into roman numerals (as in the title of this post notes) looks kind of lame, actually. No V's or X's or even M's. I think that 52 looks better. We'll have to see what happens when the Super Bowls get high. I would wager that Fox Sports would just modify the roman numeral system so that Super Bowl 50 becomes Super Bowl XXXXX. That just looks cool. Any guesses on the percentage of Americans that know that isn't the right number? That's right. LII%

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home